[PyQt] SystemLocaleShortDate omits the century on Linux

J Barchan jnbarchan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 09:57:58 GMT 2020

Hi Maurizio,

I have been keeping an eye on this thread.

> you only have to subclass it and override data(): if the source data is
actually a QDate, return the format that better suits your needs
> return data.toString(self.dateFormat())

This --- overriding data() --- is precisely what I did for dates, and also
for outputting floats as 2-decimal-point string format, which is what we
wanted.  It seemed natural to me, and it's what I did from C#/.NET for
similar situation.

*However*, I was screamed at over at the Qt forum.  The experts told me in
no uncertain terms that this was *not* the thing to do, to get a string
format for a type which you wanted.  They insisted I should be doing it via
QStyledItemDelegate, for whatever view I was in.  I should not handle the
data(Qt.DisplayRole) and return a string, I should leave that (like
Qt.EditRole) returning the underlying value type, not my desired format.
Indeed, they basically said the only time I should separate, say,
DisplayRole from EditRole, is the kind of case quoted I think in the docs,
where you have a spreadsheet with formulae and the thing you edit (the
formula) is effectively quite a different data item from the number you end
up displaying when evaluated.

So... I'd be interested to hear your/anyone's views?  Also, the example you
give above for date output format from data(), would you equally implement
that if, say, you knew you wanted your float values to come out with 2
decimal places (and possibly a leading/trailing currency symbol), or would
you say there is a difference there from dates?

Thanks for anyone's comments!

Kindest,
Jonathan

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>