How to reply to posts

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 15 16:52:23 BST 2020

On 6/15/20 11:09 AM, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 06:07:25PM -0400, Eli Schwartz wrote:
>>> If not, how to post via email, not the first time, but post a reply? So
>>> far I used digest,clicked to Reply to all and deleted all other
>>> messages, but the format was lost and I forgot to change the subject
>>> from "PyQt Digest, Vol x, Issue y" to something else. How will
>>> nabble.com know it's the same thread?
>>
>> Digest is a rather awkward mechanism. I guess you could use the mailto
>> link I mentioned above, from the OFFICIAL website, and simply copy-paste
>> the message you're replying to. For example using Thunderbird's Paste As
>> Quotation menu option.
>
> In the mailinglist web interface, you can also opt-in to receiving MIME-digests
> rather than plaintext-digests. Depending on your email client you can then
> select a single message and answer to that directly. For example, with mutt
> you'd press 'v', select the mail you want to reply to, and then press 'r'. No
> idea if Thunderbird offers something similar, though.

That's an interesting solution too. I've used a similar approach with
ezmlm lists to retrieve a collection of mbox files, which, if you tell
Thunderbird to open one as an attachment, spawns a new window identical
to the normal "open this email in a new window" view, and it has the
normal "reply | reply all | forward" buttons.

So this should work fine.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User