build system

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Thu Jun 11 13:28:10 BST 2020

On 6/11/20 7:43 AM, Saša Janiška wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I plan to work on PyQt project (on Linux) using Cython to speed-up possibly
> critical parts of my app as well as toprivde Python extension for the 3rd party
> C library whose source I'll include. Furthermore, I'll probably use rst/sphinx
> for docs (epub/html) and/or ConTeXt for producing PDF output. It would
> be nice to provide binaries/packages for MacOS/Windows as well as
> generating rpm/deb.
>
> After reading posts like https://www.bernat.tech/pep-517-518/ discussing
> package-related PEPs, I wonder what would be appropriate build system for such
> project, iow. whether setup.py can handle all of it or some general build
> system (CMake/SCons/Meson...) are recommended?

PEP 517 / 518 does not change whether setup.py is appropriate -- all it
does is change how pip checks to see whether you are using setup.py

As for which one to use, sure, why not -- setuptools has support for
building binary extensions, whereas for cmake you'll need to provide
your own dist-info and I'm not sure how pip would build it.

meson does have https://gitlab.com/thiblahute/mesonpep517/
I think scons might have something similar.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User