safety of (Py)Qt vs wx(Python)

Stephen Waterbury waterbug at pangalactic.us
Wed Jun 10 17:45:34 BST 2020

On 6/10/20 7:19 AM, Dietmar Schwertberger wrote:

> On 10.06.2020 12:05, Grzegorz Bokota wrote:
>> Did you see manylinux wheel on the list of available files?
>> https://pypi.org/project/wxPython/4.1.0/#files
>>
>> On my linux machine installation fails on compilation.
>
> The wheels are here:
> https://extras.wxpython.org/wxPython4/extras/linux/gtk3/
> This is also described on the download page:
> https://wxpython.org/pages/downloads/
>
> Yes, the situation could be better, but for most people the
> distribution packages are fine.
> Software installation and maintenance of different versions in
> parallel has always been nicer on Windows...
>
> Regards,
>
> Dietmar

You might want to consider using the */conda/* package manager.
Conda packages are different from wheels -- in fact, they are specifically
designed for the use case of python-wrapped C++ (and other language)
libraries.  Conda is excellent at managing not only different versions
of a library in parallel (which may use different versions of libraries
used by
an operating system, so conda maintains them separately from the versions
used by the operating system) but also different versions of Python:
unlike pip,
conda can create virtual environments with different versions of Python
/*and install*/ the different versions of Python itself.

Conda can be used on any platform (Linux, Windows, OSX).

For those reasons, I use conda for all my Python development, rather
than pip.

Steve