[PyQt] QtWebEngineProcess.exe – Bad Image”

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sun Feb 2 13:09:48 GMT 2020

On 01/02/2020 08:50, Zhao Lee wrote:
> When fallback to version 5.13.2 of pyqt5 and PyQtWebEngine, the issue
> is gone, so what's wrong with the latest version ?
>
> 在 2020-01-31 14:32:28,"Zhao Lee" <redstone-cold at 163.com> 写道:
>
> When I try to run the QtWebEngineWidgets example
> https://bpaste.net/MWTA, I got a message dialog with the following
> information
>
> QtWebEngineProcess.exe – Bad Image”
>
> “C:\Users\i\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\PyQt5\Qt\bin\MSVCP140.dll
> is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try
> installing the program again using the original installation media or
> contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.”
>
> Platform information :
> Python 3.6.5 (v3.6.5:f59c0932b4, Mar 28 2018, 16:07:46) [MSC v.1900 32
> bit (Intel)] on win32--Win7

It looks like the later 32 bit wheels include 64 bit versions of the
MSVC DLLs. I assume that if the correct 32 bit versions are installed
elsewhere on a system then these will be picked up and the ones in the
wheel would be ignored. That would explain why nobody else has reported
the problem and why my release tests didn't register it. I assume that
you don't already have the 32 bit versions installed elsewhere.

Can you try installing them from the Microsoft package...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

...to see if that fixes the problem.