Plans for PyQt6?

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Apr 28 10:20:17 BST 2020

Hey,

Inspired by the thread about qmake, I was wondering what the plans for PyQt6
are in general.

Right now I'm assuming:

- The module name will change from PyQt5 to PyQt6, so applications needing to
  support both will need some kind of wrapper

- There will be relatively few API changes outside of the ones in Qt - right
  now I can only think of unscoped enum access being removed:
  https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/PyQt5/gotchas.html#enums

- PyQt6 will be released some time after Qt 6 itself, though I guess nightly
  snapshots will work against Qt 6 at some point before that:
  https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-April/039382.html

Does that sound about right?

Florian

--