[PyQt] Missing "Python API for Applications" docs?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Mon Apr 20 10:58:50 BST 2020

On 20/04/2020 10:09, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 09:56:49PM +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> On 19/04/2020 21:25, Florian Bruhin wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > for sip v4, there used to be a "Python API for Applications"
>> > documentation
>> > page, which explains sip.isdeleted() and such. It's mirrored here:
>> > http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/dist/checkout/sip-4.16.3/doc/html/python_api.html
>> >
>> > I can't find anything similar in the sip v5 documentation:
>> > https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/
>> >
>> > Did that get lost somewhere, or am I looking at the wrong place?
>>
>> As PyQt5 now has a private copy of the sip module...
>>
>> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/PyQt5/api/sip/sip-module.html
>
> That seems surprising to me. None of that API is PyQt-specific and most
> of it
> is probably used by applications using sip other than PyQt as well, no?

As the API is accessed as part of the PyQt5 package then it is
PyQt-specific. Another package may provide an identical API - or
slightly different if it is using a different version of the sip module.

The text of the documentation is provided by running sip-module with the
--sip-rst option. If you maintain your own sip generated package then
you should integrate that with your documentation system.

At some point sip will have a complete documentation system (maybe later
in the year) where you will just run a command line tool and get a
complete sets of docs for your bindings.