[PyQt] private sip 5 for pyqt?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Nov 30 16:18:07 GMT 2019

Ah?  Maybe that's where the confusion is.  The old install routine has changed.

What I was looking for:

download sip source
build and install (private for PyQt)
build projects (PyQt, ...)

Now it's:

install sip[build], to get the tools (download and install in one step, with pip)
install the private sip for PyQt with the sipbuild tools
build projects

now, the sip source (or binaries) is not really sip, for a project, but the tools to make a sip for a project, or more simply- I need to install sip to install sip.  This is not clear in the documentation (note that I'm not the developer of a project, I'm just building and installing/packaging it, so stuff that looks purely developer oriented doesn't get my attention).

> On Nov 30, 2019, at 5:42 AM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
>
> On 30/11/2019 01:26, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>> A private sip module is created by sip v5, not included with it. See...
>>> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/examples.html#package-projects
>>> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/command_line_tools.html#sip-module
>> OK, but how do I build sip 5 as a private module for PyQt?  As I
>> stated in the first email, the sip 5 source does not have
>> configure.py.  It's now setup.py, and I don't see the --sip-module
>> option to create the private sip.
>
> As it suggests in the docs I linked to...
>
>    sip-module --sdist PyQt5.sip
>    pip install PyQt5_sip-12.7.9.tar.gz
>
> Phil

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"This is a question about the past, is it? ... How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensations and my state of mind?"

- The Ruler of the Universe