[PyQt] private sip 5 for pyqt?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri Nov 29 22:52:26 GMT 2019

On 29/11/2019 20:21, William Kyngesburye wrote:
> (error is when trying to build PyQt3D, but error comes from PyQt)
>
> I installed sip with pip.  so no private PyQt sip.

A private sip module is created by sip v5, not included with it. See...

https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/examples.html#package-projects
https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/sip/command_line_tools.html#sip-module

> For PyQt 5.13.2:
>
> python3 configure.py --spec=macx-clang
>
> make & install OK
>
> For PyQt3D 5.13.1:
>
> python3 configure.py --spec=macx-clang
> Error: Unable to import PyQt5.QtCore. Make sure PyQt5 is installed.
>
> not a very helpful error - PyQt IS installed.

Python doesn't make the distinction between a module that cannot be
imported and one that isn't installed.

> I started python3 and tried to load PyQt5.QtCore as the PyQt3d
> configure is doing:
>
> from PyQt5 import QtCore
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PyQt5.sip'

If you are still wanting to use configure.py then you need to install
the private sip module first.