[PyQt] What is generally the fastest version of python that PyQt5 supports?

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Sat May 25 03:20:04 BST 2019

On 2019-05-24 08:22, Luna Tuna wrote:
> I'm running into slow graphics item movement when I have lots of
> updating going on.  Was wanting to rewrite in C++, but exploring
> different python options at the moment.  So PyPy is not supported, but
> is there a version of python that is supported and that will typically
> seem faster than CPython?

Given that PyQt uses SIP which uses the CPython C-API which isn't part
of the Python language as far as I know the options are fairly limited.
Though, my understanding is that PyPy has made efforts to support some
amount of the C-API for numpy and the like.  Anyways, you could
implement your performance bottlenecks in C++ and wrap them with SIP and
then do the rest in Python.

Well, I suppose I actually ought to mention Nuitka.  I've never used it
but I know a few people have used it with PyQt5 and that in general
Nuitka claims to be faster than CPython.  It's a compiler though not an
interpreter, or so it says...  anyways, I don't know much about it but
maybe you get lucky and it's useful.

Cheers,
-kyle