[PyQt] Advices on embedding python in Qt/C++ application

Alexis Barbot alexis.barbot at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 08:29:46 BST 2019

Thanks for these replies,

First of all, I had a look at PythonQt which indeed looked promising in my
case. However I had toubles to build it, so I skipped that solution. Now I
understand that this was probably caused by the compilation attempt with
mingw while using a binary python installer, obviously compiled using msvc.
Furthermore, I got some success with PyQt: after preparing all paths and
adding several flags to the configure command, I could perform the complete
build wihtout errors. I so tried to write a small piece of code to validate
my usage. It builds correctly, but it suddenly stop while running without
any error message. Here is the code:

```
#include <QDebug>
#include <Python.h>
#include <QDateTime>
#include <sipAPIQtCore.h>
#include <memory>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
    qDebug() << "start";
    Py_Initialize();
    auto d = PyDict_New();
    auto test = std::make_unique<QDateTime>();
    auto pyTest = sipConvertFromType(test.get(), sipType_QDateTime,
nullptr);
    qDebug() << "end";
    Py_FinalizeEx();
    return 0;
}
```

It sounds like everything is installed but I'm missing some initialization
step. Is that possible? Or maybe there's something else I should check/try?
Many thanks for your help.

Alexis