[PyQt] pyqtsignal() and None value

Maurizio Berti maurizio.berti at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 21:10:11 BST 2018

I don't know specifically how using QVariant could change the behavior: I'm
always using sip api version 2 also with Python 2 and Qt4 for everything,
as I find it's much more simpler and usable since it automatically converts
python types without using .toPyObject(). Note that, by using sip v2 for
everything, QtCore will not wrap QVariant nor QString/QStringList (the
latter is the default for Py3). You can specify the C++ signature type
using quotes, though, such as pyqtSignal(['QString', 'QVariant']), which
can be useful where you don't have full control over the slots, like in
designer plugins.

That said, as you might know, "object" is a much broader specification for
the object type, meaning that it includes any kind of new-style python
subclass ("object", indeed), including any PyQt wrapper. It can be useful
when you want to emit signals using complex parameters (such as object
references), but, in your case, QVariant should be enough.

Maurizio