[PyQt] PyQt5-sip 4.19.13 required for PyQt5 5.11.3 but not in python package

Damon Lynch damonlynch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 15:39:01 GMT 2018

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 10:53 PM Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:

> On 2018-11-03 17:39, Damon Lynch wrote:
>
> > Unless I'm mistaken, for now the latest PyQt5 requires the latest
> > PyQt5_sip, but the packaging of PyQt5 does not specify this
> > requirement.
> >
> > For example, on Fedora 29:
> >
> > [damon at localhost ~]$ pip3 install --user PyQt5
> > Requirement already satisfied: PyQt5 in
> > ./.local/lib/python3.7/site-packages (5.11.3)
> > Requirement already satisfied: PyQt5_sip<4.20,>=4.19.11 in
> > /usr/lib64/python3.7/site-packages (from PyQt5) (4.19.12)
>
> So this did nothing because it found a pre-existing --user install.  It
> didn't install the PyPI PyQt5_sip package because it found a
> 'satisfactory' system installed copy.

Yes you're quite right about the system package part. I somehow missed that
the system PyQt5_sip was being used instead of one in the local user's site
packages. I know why: I assumed that when PyQt5 is installed from pip, so
would PyQt5_sip. In this case, it appears it was not. I don't know how that
came to be, because as far as I know, when you install PyQt5 locally from
pypi, PyQt5_sip should always be installed alongside it. I don't know if
that's unique to pip in Fedora or its indicative of something else.

In that case, for me the upshot of this is that one cannot trust the
reliability of pip's dependency resolution, and PyQt5_sip must be manually
installed / upgraded every time PyQt5 is installed / upgraded.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts re pip and sudo. I never use sudo with
pip.

Best,
Damon