[PyQt] QDialog (and others) not resizing on PyQt 5.10.1 PIP install

Marko Luther marko.luther at gmx.net
Wed Mar 7 19:49:21 GMT 2018

Dear Hans,

> On 7. Mar 2018, at 20:35, Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj at urpla.net> wrote:
>
> On Dienstag, 6. März 2018 11:09:35 Marko Luther wrote:
>> Mac OS X 10.13.3 , Python 3.5.4, Qt 5.10.1 / PyQt 5.10.1 installed via PIP
>> "PyQt5" With the attached script resizing works for Windows, but not for
>> any other of the options incl. QDialog.
>>
>> I downgraded to PyQt 5.10.0 and with the same code the QDialog resizes again
>> as expected.
>>
>> Any idea? Is this a Qt problem?
>
> Do I understand this correctly, you downgraded PyQt, but kept the Qt version?

No, I actually uninstalled the PIP PyQt package with the included Qt and am running now PyQt/Qt 5.10.0 that works.

> And you're not using any hints, just switch the type?

Yes.

> Fiddling with these hints _is_ awful, since they're handled in different os
> levels, some by Qt itself, some below, and they're highly system dependent.

I did not wanted to fiddle with the. Just hope they would somehow make my dialogs resizable again. But they didn't.

> On Linux (KDM), all types are resizable, but Popup, Tooltip and Splash.
>
> Python: 3.4.5
> Sip: 4.19.7
> Qt5: 5.10.0
> PyQt5: 5.10

On Qt 5.10.0 PyQt 5.10 all my dialogs are resizable too. However, with the upgrade to 5.10.1 Qt/PyQt installed from PIP, they stopped to do so. Thanks for testing anyhow. Wonder why no one else is having this issue. Strange.