[PyQt] TypeError Qt Designer plugin import

Adam Unger adamunger0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 07:08:32 BST 2018

Hi,

I'm having a problem loading custom PyQt5 plugins with Qt Designer. The
example plugins available on GitHub
<https://github.com/baoboa/pyqt5/tree/master/examples/designer/plugins>
were working and I used them to create my own plugin which was working as
well. Then yesterday Designer stopped loading any of them. When I start
Designer from the CLI I get:

TypeError: unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be sip.simplewrapper, not
PyAnalogClockPluginTypeError: unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be
sip.simplewrapper, not BubblesPluginTypeError: unwrapinstance()
argument 1 must be sip.simplewrapper, not CounterLabelPluginTypeError:
unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be sip.simplewrapper, not
PyDateEditPluginTypeError: unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be
sip.simplewrapper, not PyDateTimeEditPluginTypeError: unwrapinstance()
argument 1 must be sip.simplewrapper, not
HelloGLWidgetPluginTypeError: unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be
sip.simplewrapper, not MultiPageWidgetPluginTypeError:
unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be sip.simplewrapper, not
PolygonWidgetPluginTypeError: unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be
sip.simplewrapper, not PyDemoPluginTypeError: unwrapinstance()
argument 1 must be sip.simplewrapper, not PythonConsolePlugin

I don't know where to start and Google-ing the issue didn't help either.
I'm using Python 3.6.6, Qt 5.11.1, PyQt5 5.11.2, and Linux 4.17.5-1-ARCH.

What is causing this error? How do I fix it?

Thanks,

Adam Unger

adamunger0 at gmail.com