[PyQt] Segfault when building wxPython with SIP 4.19.11

Scott Talbert swt at techie.net
Fri Jul 6 16:30:52 BST 2018

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

>> > However there are slight changes to the way a private sip module is
>> > specified. I don’t know if this affects how wxPython is built.
>>
>> I don't know either.  When I build wxPython, I am building it for Fedora
>> or Debian packages, and I build it using the public sip module, stripping
>> out the bundled copy.
>
> Well, I guess, the idea behind bundling sip is to allow local adjustments
> without compromising the public sip package and other dependent projects.
>
>> From packaging point of view, you should take the "other" route.. I'm facing
> the same issue for openSUSE, but will wait a little longer to let things
> settle...

Well, in the case of wxPython, the primary reason for unbundling is that
the default build process downloads a precompiled SIP binary from the
wxPython website.  That's problematic for most distributions.  :)

I don't think that wxPython makes any local adjustments to its bundled
copy of SIP, at least that I've noticed.

Scott