[PyQt] Problem using PyQt5 designer python custom plugin

Ronald Petit elronaldpetit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 18:22:52 BST 2018

Hello,

I just downloaded the latest SIP (4.19.11), and the latest PyQt5 (5.11.2),
I compiled SIP using --sip-module PyQt5.sip and my configure command fro
PyQt5 was

sudo python3 configure.py --qmake=/home/xxx/Qt/5.11.0/gcc_64/bin/qmake
--designer-plugindir=/home/xxx/Qt/5.11.0/gcc_64/plugins/designer/

Everything went OK with with the compiling and installation. (I'm Using
Python 3.7.0 in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS)

But, when I copy the pydemo.py and pydemoplugin.py from the sources
examples to my designer plugin subfolderfolder "python" (as you can see, my
Qt installation is on my profile root), I received the following error:

ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'sip'

But is suppose that now sip is over PyQt5.sip don't know why the
libpyqt5.so is importing directly "sip".

To fix this, I though that installing SIP again but with the default module
will solve the problem, indeed, it install the sip.so library as older
versions, however, after that I receive the following error when running
the designer:

TypeError: unwrapinstance() argument 1 must be sip.simplewrapper, not
PyDemoPlugin

Any clue why that happen and how I can fix it?

My custom widgets use to work using Python 3.5.2 and PyQt5 5.5.1, but I got
a new computer and decided to use the latest versions.

Thank you for your time