[PyQt] ANN: PyQt v5.9.1 and SIP v4.19.4 Released

Damon Lynch damonlynch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 21:44:14 GMT 2017

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
wrote:

> PyQt v5.9.1 has been released (along with corresponsing releases of
> PyQt3D, PyQtChart, PyQtDataVisualization and PyQtPurchasing). These add
> support for Qt v5.9.2.
>
> The Linux wheel for PyQt has yet to be uploaded to PyPI as it seems to
> have hit a limit on the size of a wheel. I'm trying to get this resolved.
>
> SIP v4.19.4 has also been released. This includes the ability to add
> enable (at runtime) strict overflow checking when converting from Python
> integers.

With SIP v4.19.4 and PyQt 5.9 on Linux,  code like this breaks:

buttonBox = QDialogButtonBox(
    QDialogButtonBox.Cancel | QDialogButtonBox.Ok | QDialogButtonBox.Help
)
self.helpButton = buttonBox.button(QDialogButtonBox.Help)  # type: QPushButton

As far as I can tell, that code is correct. Unfortunately with
sip==4.19.4, self.helpButton is assigned the value None, instead of
the QPushButton. Moreover, the
QPushButtons do not appear to the user, so it seems they're never
actually created when the QDialogButtonBox is instantiated.

The problem is that when you install PyQt5.9 from PyPi, by default it
installs SIP 4.19.4, not SIP 4.19.3. When SIP is downgraded to 4.19.3,
the code works as expected.

Unfortunately in the requirements.txt for my application, a specific
sip version is not specified. So currently I'm getting bug reports
from unhappy users reporting broken code.

Phil, do you have an ETA for PyQT 5.9.1 for Linux on Pypi? Until it
does show up, is it possible to tell Pypi to install sip 4.19.3 when
installing PyQt5.9?

Thanks,

Damon

--