[PyQt] How does QCoreApplication.applicationDirPath() determine path to python binary?

Nick Todd ntodd at eyeseetec.de
Fri Mar 24 14:44:17 GMT 2017

I'm trying to bundle PyQt5 into a Python environment that can be run
independent of any system installation. I want to use qt.conf to point
PyQt to the location of the required Qt dependencies, but it's being
ignored. The docs say that Qt expects to find qt.conf in
QCoreApplication.applicationDirPath(). When I print this value I see it
points to the location of the original Python installation where PyQt
was installed to.

How is the value of QCoreApplication.applicationDirPath() determined,
and how can I make it point to the new location of my Python binary?

Thanks,
Nick