[PyQt] Installing PyQt5 on macOS using Wheels

James Stearns - NOAA Affiliate james.stearns at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 20 21:05:07 BST 2017

I have a PyQt5 application running on Windows that I'd like to get running
on macOS Sierra as well.

I'd prefer to install from wheels rather than source, a method
described in Installing
PyQt5 <http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/PyQt5/installation.html> . When I
do so, and attempt to run a file importing PyQt5.QtCore, I get this error:

RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v12.0 to v12.1 but the
> PyQt5.QtCore module requires API v12.2

Environment:

   - macOS Sierra 10.12.6
   - Python 3.6.2 (v3.6.2:5fd33b5926, Jul 16 2017, 20:11:06)
   - PyQt5 5.9 (pip3.6 PyQt5==5.9)

Research:

I found a reference of interest in the PyQt email archive on February 22nd
of this year. The error:

RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v12.0 but the PyQt5.QtCore module
> requires API v12.1

The responder's paragraph of interest:

You must actually be using an out of date version of libsip.a. I had a
> similar problem today but with the ‘sip’ executable, in part because of
> incorrect PATH entries, and also [from] incorrect sip install paths.

> To troubleshoot you could delete the libsip you are linking into your app
> (statically) or that python is loading (dynamically) and hit “make install”
> from sip again. check file dates.

I'm not sure how to apply this advice to a PyQt5 installed via wheels.
W.r.t PATH, the problem occurs even with a PATH pared down the bin
directory of the Python virtual environment.

Suggestions on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Stearns

Software Engineer, NOAA Affiliate
Earth Resources Technology, Inc. (ERT, Inc)