[PyQt] PyQt5 + AppImage

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Fri Jul 7 21:54:13 BST 2017

>  To clarify, the font problem is that when running as an AppImage, the
> fonts do not look the same as when the same application runs in the
> same distribution for the same user when that application is installed
> with pip.

I think the gist of an install-anywhere utility is to build-in all
dependencies.  They could make it use the system libs etc if recognized
but that just gets more complicated.  So, I'd expect them to look
different.

> In other words, the pip installed version looks great, but the AppImage
> one can look awful and very much out of place. Here is a composite
> image (43 kB) that illustrates the problem on two different distros:
>
> http://damonlynch.net/rapid/screenshots/beta/appimage-font-problem.png
>
> The image illustrates that with the first distro, the AppImage font
> changes to a serif font, which is wrong.
>
> With respect to Simon's point about the legality of font aliasing, it's
> entirely possible I'm using the wrong terminology for what I thought
> was aliasing. Perhaps the correct term is hinting? In any case, as can
> be seen in the second pair of images, the hinting / aliasing is
> different in the AppImage. I suspect the first pair of images also have
> the same hinting / aliasing problem.

They are both anti-aliasing, but yes, they do look distinctly different.

Hopefully someone can help figure this out but I'm a bit skeptical
(despite my lack of concrete knowledge in this are) that you are going
to get a native look in lots of environments when you are specifically
trying to avoid dependence on the particular environment by using
AppImage.  Can't wait to be proved wrong.  :]  Good luck.

Cheers,
-kyle