[PyQt] Uninstalling a wheel

Damon Lynch damonlynch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:39:13 GMT 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 4:24 AM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2017, at 10:11 am, Damon Lynch <damonlynch at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 3:43 AM, Phil Thompson <
> phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> > On 16 Feb 2017, at 7:47 am, Damon Lynch <damonlynch at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Phil,
> > >
> > > The docs say 'pip3 uninstall pyqt5' is sufficient, but on my install
> at least if I didn't remove sip.so from python's site-packages, segfaults
> result. Perhaps it's different on Mac / Windows? I have no idea.
> >
> > uninstall doesn't uninstall dependencies. However installing PyQt v5.8
> should update any existing SIP version to the required level.
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > Yes it's correct that the wheel created sip.so in the site-packages
> directory during the pip3 install, as expected. And when running the
> uninstall, as you've also noted, sip.so is not removed. The problem is,
> unless that sip dependency is manually removed, any attempt to use PyQt5
> results in python3 segfaulting.
> >
> > If pip3 uninstall can't remove sip.so my suggestion is to update the
> docs to alert the user that they may need to manually remove the file.
>
> As I said, when you install PyQt v5.8 it *should* automatically update sip
> to the required level - at least it does for me. So there is no need to
> manually remove the file.
>
> Phil

Perhaps we're seeing different results because in my environment pip3
install is patched to run as if the --user switch has been set. (AFAIK
that's the standard on Debian derived distros; it seems to be in Ubuntu at
least).

To be clear, after pip3 install pyqt5, sip.so  is located in
~/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages

If I understand you correctly, when you say it should automatically update
sip, you're talking about the system's and not the user's sip, right?

Best,
Damon

--
http://www.damonlynch.net