[PyQt] Logging UTF-8 when pyqtdeployed

Dave Gradwell davegradwell at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 18:53:55 GMT 2017

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your message and links to your code.  I like the name of the ’T’ object!
It’s Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.4, and yes, a GUI application.
I do pretty much the same thing as you do with stderr and stdout, however, this issue is not specifically to do with stderr or stdout.  The problem occurs when I do:
logging.info("testing ungültig”) # note the umlaut.
My worry is that this works fine in some cases (i.e. an interactive environment or when app is started post-qmake by pyqtdeploy itself) but in another case it fails (i.e. when the pyqtdeploy’ed app is double-clicked from Finder).
I’m wondering if there’s an environment variable that needs to be set (or something?) that hints that the world is in UTF-8…
It’s possibly just an education issue for me - maybe I need to figure out how to use Python Logging a bit better.  I’m just not sure _why_ Logging would suddenly start thinking it’s appropriate to use an ASCII codec on a UTF-8 string.

— Dave.