[PyQt] Really basic debugger question

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Apr 12 11:11:18 BST 2017

Phil,

On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 17:52 +1000, Phil wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 07:32:21 +0000
> Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > Phil,
> >
> > On Wed, 2017-04-12 at 17:21 +1000, Phil wrote:
> > > I'm having trouble coming to grips with Eric's debugger.
> > >
> > > I have a simple console python3 script that I want to step
> > > through
> > > viewing the variables along the way. I have set a break point.
> > >
> > > Clicking on the debug tool brings up a "Debug Script" dialogue
> > > with
> > > three entry boxes. I understand "Working directory" but what goes
> > > into "Commandline" and "Enviroment"?
> >
> > The Commandline box allows you to specify command line options. So
> > if
> > you have a script 'xyz.py' and you can invoke it from the command
> > line
> > with 'xyz.py --option1 -s', then you can put the '--option1 -s' in
> > the
> > Commandline box in the debugger. If your script doesn't do any
> > command
> > line processing, then leave it blank.
> >

> Thank you Tony,
> I've left both boxes blank but nothing seems to happen other than a
> quick flash while the script runs. I expected the script to stop at
> the breakpoint and display the variable's value.
>
> I think I must be missing something that's very basic.

There is a tick box in that debugger window that tells the debugger
whether to stop at the start of the script or not. If you want it stop,
the box has to be clear, i.e., NOT ticked. The debugger should then
stop at the start of your script and you can single step through it if
you want.

Regards,
Tony.

--
Tony Arnold MBCS, CITP | Senior IT Security Analyst | Directorate of IT Services | G.110, Kilburn Building | The University of Manchester | Manchester M13 9PL | T: +44 161 275 6093 | M: +44 773 330 0039