[PyQt] [Bug] PyQt5 version 5.7.0 OS X.11.4 (El Capitan) MenuBar requires defocus + refocus of app to work (David Morris)

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 16:37:41 BST 2016

http://www.sheepsystems.com/developers_blog/TPT-show-menu.html

> I have this same issue with PyQt v5.6 on OSX 10.10 (Yosemite).  If I open
> my app using python on a command line, menus are not functional until I
> switch to another app and switch back.  But if I build an OSX app bundle
> (via pyqtdeploy), the menus work perfectly.

A similar (probably identical) problem was fixed in PyInstaller a year ago.
Their fix is probably not applicable here, but the following links may help.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29400317/pyqt-how-to-make-application-truly-active

That references this blog post,

http://www.sheepsystems.com/developers_blog/TPT-show-menu.html

The SO entry also references a blog post that is also referenced multiple
times in the PyInstaller issues,

http://dvitonis.net/blog/2015/01/07/menu-bar-not-visible-when-building-pyqt-app-bundle-pyinstaller-mac-osx-mavericks-yosemite/

Unfortunately this site is no longer accessible; you might inquire further
of Darius Vitonis at https://github.com/dvitonis