[PyQt] Generating PyQt bindings with Clang

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:16:03 BST 2016

On 05/19/2016 06:49 PM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 19 May 2016, at 5:24 pm, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oh, I didn't know that. Is the tool you use FOSS/usable for KDE etc?
> https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/hg/metasip/
>
> I describe MetaSIP as a personal productivity tool and a work in progress. Unsurprisingly it fits the way I work - it may not fit how anybody else works.

That's interesting. I cloned it and read through a few commits, but I
didn't try it. It indeed seems to have similar challenges to what we
have hit, such as

 https://riverbankcomputing.com/hg/metasip/rev/f08071f3d63d

See

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.compilers.clang.devel/48738

> From what I understand you want to be able to generate bindings automatically from the C++ .h files.

Yes, given certain rules about discarding/transforming methods and
adding other SIP directives.

> Personally I think the only way to ensure quality in bindings (both in terms of Pythonic behaviour and bugs) is to check each argument of each function call.

I don't doubt that for a second :).

> The key to it being manageable is to make sure you do that check once and once only.

Yes. However, I don't see how that it difficult with a rule-based approach?

Thanks,

Steve.