[PyQt] pip vs apt-get install

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:57:52 BST 2016

Den 3 maj 2016 4:23 em skrev <scalet at yebu.de>:

> Hi all,
>
> sorry for starting a discussion being a little off topic at
> the very beginning already.
>
> It is a more generic python question,
> but I think PyQt(5) is a good example.
>
> Ubuntu:
> Normally when installing new python modules, I go that road:
> When I find it in the apt repository (standard) and I do not
> have a very urgent reason to have a bleeding edge version)
> I will use this. If not, I do a pip3 install. If not even
> available for pip ... oke, that's another story.
>
> I feel this way, I get the most stable system.
>
> I would appreciate your comments on the subject!

At work we go the other way, and install as much as possible through pip,
since we do almost all development and deployment inside virtualenvs. Using
as much as possible from pip lets us easily freeze requirement to
known-good (tested) versions and makes it easier to reproduce the
environment under which the software was tested, even on different distros.

We use pip-tools (on GitHub) to maintain our requirement.txt files.

Up until recently, PyQt was one of the requirements we couldn't install via
pip, forcing us to use --system-site-packages when creating our
environments, but I'm glad that's changing now, even if we're still on a
too old Ubuntu to switch to the wheels at this moment.

Elvis