[PyQt] pip vs apt-get install

scalet at yebu.de scalet at yebu.de
Tue May 3 14:25:39 BST 2016

Hi all,

sorry for starting a discussion being a little off topic at
the very beginning already.

It is a more generic python question,
but I think PyQt(5) is a good example.

Ubuntu:
Normally when installing new python modules, I go that road:
When I find it in the apt repository (standard) and I do not
have a very urgent reason to have a bleeding edge version)
I will use this. If not, I do a pip3 install. If not even
available for pip ... oke, that's another story.

I feel this way, I get the most stable system.

I would appreciate your comments on the subject!

(Same with MacOSX, here using brew rather than apt-get)

Best,
Karl.