[PyQt] Design plugins in Windows

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Mon Mar 28 23:49:55 BST 2016

On 2016-03-28 18:12, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 28 Mar 2016, at 10:47 pm, Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:
>>
>> While my Designer widgets work quite nicely in Linux (thank you) I am
>> unable to get them working in Windows.  I have tried many permutations
>> of / and \ and quotes or not in PYQTDESIGNERPATH.  I also located my
>> files in one of the default path locations
>> (C:\Users\IEUser\.designer\plugins\python).  In no case do they show
>> up within Designer (pyqt5.dll is listed as a plugin).  Any
>> recommendations on how to debug/resolve this before I attempt to
>> rebuild pyqt5.dll with debug statements written to a file?  My
>> widgets/plugins are available on GitHub [1].
>>
>> Thank you for any suggestions you care to share.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -kyle
>>

>> [1]
>> https://github.com/altendky/st/tree/fda167f20081ba0f24293d71535b68b2e6954bb0/epyq/widgets
>
> Does the standard example work for you?
>
> Phil

No, it does not seem to work either via the examples app or from the
command line.  In fact, unless I set PYTHONPATH to something else,
Designer won't even open (so example app doesn't open Designer at all).
I looked for the widgets in the list and also for entries under the
listing of pyqt5.dll in the dialog under help and neither

   C:\Users\IEUser>set
PYQTDESIGNERPATH=c:\python34\lib\site-packages\PyQt5\examples\designer\plugins\python

   C:\Users\IEUser>set
PYTHONPATH=c:\python34\lib\site-packages\PyQt5\examples\designer\plugins\widgets

   C:\Users\IEUser>designer
<no output nor designer window>

   C:\Users\IEUser>set
PYTHONPATH=c:\python34\lib\site-packages\PyQt5\examples\designer\plugins\widget

   C:\Users\IEUser>designer

   C:\Users\IEUser>
<no output but designer window comes up>

I'm bringing up a fresh virtual machine (modern.ie Vagrant/Win10/Edge
x64) and will install Python 3.4.4 and PyQt 5.5.1 (both x32).  I will
let you know the results there.

Cheers,
-kyle