[PyQt] Need help with PyQt and QWebChannel

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Tue Mar 15 20:14:42 GMT 2016

Hi,

I am in the process of porting the eric web browser from QtWebKit to QtWebEngine. In
this process I am facing an issue I would need some help to resolve it.

I have a web page that contains a JavaScript part like:

    <script type="text/javascript">
        function update()
        {
            alert(window.external.searchUrl());
            document.getElementById('footer').innerHTML = window.external.providerString()
                                                          + ' | <a href="http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/">'
                                                          + '@ERIC_LINK@</a>';
            document.getElementById('lineEdit').placeholder =
window.external.providerString();

            // Try to change the direction of the page:

            var newDir = '@QT_LAYOUT_DIRECTION@';
            newDir = newDir.toLowerCase();
            if ((newDir != 'ltr') && (newDir != 'rtl'))
                newDir = 'ltr';
            document.getElementsByTagName('body')[0].setAttribute('dir', newDir);
        }

        function formSubmitted()
        {
            var string = lineEdit.value;

            if (string.length == 0)
                return;

            var url = window.external.searchUrl(string);
            window.location.href = url;
        }

        // Initialize
        if (window.external) {
            update();
        } else {
            document.addEventListener('_eric_external_created', update);
        }
    </script>

The "window.external.searchUrl" method is implemented in an object registered with a
QWebChannel like

    @pyqtSlot(str, result=str)
    def searchUrl(self, searchStr):

However, the alert() call in the above script always returns 'undefined', that is the function
'searchUrl' is not registered with it.

What am I doing wrong?

Detlev

PS: Full code can be retrieved from the eric repository at http://die-offenbachs.homelinux.org:48888/hg/eric/--