[PyQt] Installation of PyQt4 on a Raspberry Pi

Dennis Hofer hoferd744 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 22:35:39 BST 2016

Dear Sir:

I wish to install PyQt4 on a Raspberry Pi unit using the lattest

Raspbian and Python 2.7 or Python 3.  I have not been able to

successfully install an SIP package or PtQt4.  Attached is an example

of what I have tried:

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ python 01-Window.py

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "01-Window.py", line 9, in <module>

    from PyQt4.QtGui import *

ImportError: No module named PyQt4.QtGui

pi at raspberrypi:~ $

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ pip3 install SIP

Downloading/unpacking SIP

  Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement SIP

Cleaning up...

No distributions at all found for SIP

Storing debug log for failure in /home/pi/.pip/pip.log

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ pip install SIP

Downloading/unpacking SIP

  Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement SIP

Cleaning up...

No distributions at all found for SIP

Storing debug log for failure in /home/pi/.pip/pip.log

pi at raspberrypi:~ $ apt-get install PyQt4

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission

denied) E: Unable to lock the administration directory

(/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root? pi at raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install

PyQt4 Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Is it possible to accomplish this and can you point me to a step

by step direction?

Thanks,

Dennis Hofer