[PyQt] QDialog blocking on OS X with PyQt5.6

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Tue Jul 26 13:17:49 BST 2016

> On 26 Jul 2016, at 11:38, Timothy W. Grove <tim_grove at sil.org> wrote:
>
> Is anyone aware of blocking issues with QDialog on OS X with PyQt 5.6? It's not an issue I've seen in Windows.
>
> This appears to be happening in my application with QFileDialog, QDialog and QMessageBox. After clicking the OK button these dialogs close but my application is no longer responsive. In the case of the QFileDialog, testing shows that it doesn't return a filename. A solution I've been using is to subclass these and put 'qApp.processEvents()' inside the 'hideEvent' method, but this doesn't seem ideal to me. Just wondering if anyone else has seen these problems or if the cause is something else entirely in my application.

When I have seen unexpected behaviour from PyQt I have managed to track down the problem
by creating a small example, with a QFileDialog in your case. Then adding my apps code to the
small example small change by small change. Hopefully you will find the critical change
that introduces the bug.

Barry