[PyQt] Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Jan 25 06:16:00 GMT 2016

* Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> [2016-01-24 12:25:21 +0000]:
> There are a few things going on in the Qt world at the moment which
> will impact PyQt so I thought it was worth outlining the plans for
> future releases of Riverbank packages.

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date! :)

> SIP v4
> ------
>
> SIP v4.18 will be released soon. v4.18.x will be the last series of
> releases (ie. there will be no v4.19). This release is expected to
> support the generation of Python type hint stub files.

You mentioned you don't know yet whether this will replace XML
generation or if both will coexist. Any new information on that?

> SIP v5
> ------
>
> SIP v5 will be released when ready. It will not be radically
> different to SIP v4. All deprecated features will be removed. All
> internal knowledge of PyQt will be removed. It will be able to be
> installed from PyPi.

Nice to hear about it being installable via PyPI! Looking at e.g. the
#python IRC channel, this always was a pain point for some people.

> PyQt Charts
> -----------
>
> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is
> released (expected to be Qt v5.6). Like the commercial version it
> will be packaged separately.
>
> PyQt Data Visualisation
> -----------------------
>
> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is
> released (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it
> will be packaged separately.
>
> PyQt Purchasing
>
> A GPL version will be released when the corresponding Qt version is
> released (expected to be Qt v5.7). Like the commercial version it
> will be packaged separately.

Glad to hear the PyQt counterparts are becoming GPL as well!

> Feedback and comments very welcome...

Great news overall, keep up the good work!

Florian