[PyQt] Question about "total number of developers" in License FAQ

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 13:13:13 GMT 2016

> On 11 Jan 2016, at 12:49 pm, Elvis Stansvik <elvstone at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> From the License FAQ [1]:
>>
>> "Q. Are commercial licenses tied to named developers?
>> A. No, a commercial license covers a number of developers. We only
>> require that the total number of developers at any time does not
>> exceed the number covered by your license."
>>
>> My question is: What is the intended interpretation of "total number
>> of developers at any time"? Does it refer to the maximum number of
>> developers that makes use of the license within a given week? A day?
>> At the exact same time? Or does it refer to the number of
>> simultaneously employed (or otherwise involved) developers that have
>> at any time made use of the license?
>>
>> In short I'd like to know, if we have a single license, when we'd be
>> obliged to get a second license. Is it okay if me and a coworker,
>> simultaneously employed, "takes turn" in using the license, or would
>> this require us to get a second license? How frequently can we take
>> turn before it is considered an abuse of the licensing terms?
>>
>> There are variations of these interpretations I have not brought up,
>> because they are so many, so I'm really looking for just a
>> clarification on what it means.
>
> You can take turns if you honestly believe you can and will manage that properly.

Thanks Phil. So I take it that the intended interpretation of "at any
time" is "at any _point_ in time" so to speak?

Also, I realize it sounds like I'm actively trying to circumvent the
licensing terms. That was not my intention. I was just interested in
what the exact meaning of that phrase was, since it helps with
planning. Thanks for clearing it up.

And no, maintaining the "not at the same time" properly is probably
not realistic. It might be doable if you're only two persons, but
would probably be quite a hassle and quickly become unfeasible if more
devs join in.

>> Also, where is the license text of the commercial license? I can't
>> find it on the web site.
>
> I'll send you a copy privately.

Thanks.

Elvis