[PyQt] future of (py)qt desktop

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Thu Jan 7 22:31:32 GMT 2016

On 7 Jan 2016, at 8:00 pm, Mathias.Born at gmx.de wrote:

> -----------
>
> Hi,
>
> this is an interesting discussion for me, because I'm planning to port a big application from Python2+PyGtk 32bit to Python3+PyQt 64bit.
> I had a look at some QtQuick and QML examples which come with PyQt.
> I'm not really sure if I should use this technique because it has pros and cons (in my opinion):
> + GUI part is completely separated from the Python code.
> + QtQuick/QML is fast, even on slow devices.
> - I have to learn new syntax (QML+JS)
> - Many examples seem to be for older versions of QtQuick/QML. So using the features of the latest versions is hard to implement.
>
> Using the Designer and writing everything in Python would be the straight forward way for porting, but is it the right one?
> The application has to handle lots of data, list views and tree views with many entries and complex graphics views.
> Is the recommended way to use QtQuick/QML? The problem I'm facing with this technique is that start developing with it is hard.
> Although the examples look clear and easy, but when I'm trying to create GUIs with QML I'm running into many problems.
> Is there a comprehensive tutorial or good book available which goes into detail?

http://qmlbook.github.io

You don't say what platforms you are targetting. You would normally design a different UI for mobile and desktop. Personally I would only consider QML for mobile. An application that has to handle lots of data doesn't sound appropriate for mobile. So, based on what you have said, I would go the traditional widgets on the desktop route.