[PyQt] Bug when running pyqt application as root?

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Fri Feb 26 21:37:33 GMT 2016

On 26/02/16 21:18, Mart Stecker wrote:

>> On 26/02/16 20:31, Mart Stecker wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just created a pyqt4 application using the designer (python 2.7). There
>>> are several buttons involved and I use the theme-icons eg
>>> application-exit.
>>>
>>> When running this application as non root all theme-icons are displayed as
>>> in the designer.When running the application as root or with sudo (Ubuntu)
>>> the buttons do not show the icons anymore.
>>>
>>> This application needs root permission, but without icons the GUI is
>>> difficult to operate.
>>>
>>> I tested this with Debian and Ubuntu (gnome).
>>>
>>> Is this a bug in pyqt? Does someone know a solution?
>>>

>> Does the root user have an icon theme configured for it?
>>
> Hi Baz,
>
> Can you tell me how to check this?

The settings should stored in same way as they are for an ordinary user
on your system, only under /root. But obviously, you cannot view or make
changes in this directory as an ordinary user.

I've never used ubuntu or gnome, so I don't know the specific places to
look for the icon theme settings.

--
Regards
Baz Walter