[PyQt] Experimental PyQt5 v5.6 Wheels Available

Stephen Hansen me at ixokai.io
Sat Apr 9 21:30:33 BST 2016

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016, at 09:49 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> The wheels have not been uploaded to PyPi because the PyQt wheels are too
> large, which is a shame. My original plan was to *not* bundle Qt. However
> that means that PyQt has to make assumptions about where Qt has been
> installed. The only reasonable assumption is the default location used by
> the Qt installers (ie. ~/Qt5.6.0 on Linux and OS X and C:\Qt\Qt5.6.0 on
> Windows). I thought that was going to be too restrictive.
>
> I'd like feedback on the best approach to this...
>
> 1. Stick with the current approach, unable to use PyPi, large download,
> simple install once downloaded, supports non-default Qt locations.
>
> 2. Don't bundle Qt, can use PyPi, small download, simple install, Qt must
> be installed in its default location.
>
> I could supplement 2) with a tool (provided as part of the wheel) that
> could be run (once) to "re-direct" the installed PyQt to the actual Qt
> installation.
>
> A further variation would be a separate tool that would modify the
> downloaded wheel to do the re-direct so that the modified wheel would be
> correct for your personal/company standards for the Qt location.

For 64-bit windows, the wheels work fine, FYI.

On the issue of packaging, options 1/2 are basically a wash.

Being able to use pip to install PyQT would be a great improvement in
ease of use, but having to install QT (and having to install it in a
certain directory is completely unworkable: the relocating tool would be
a fine workaround though).means I still can't just sit down and 'pip
install PyQT' and have it just work.

So, to me, you gain nothing being on PyPI if you have to install QT
separately. With 1, I have to download a pair of packages from
Riverbank's very easy to navigate website. With 2, I have to download a
package from a frankly deeply annoying website
(http://www.qt.io/download/ is vexing).

Sooo, personally, I'd keep bundling QT. Its not ideal, but when the New
PyPI Warehouse goes live, my understanding is it'll support per-project
max upload sizes so its non-ideal status might just be temporary.

--Stephen