[PyQt] pyqtdeploy freeze error: cannot find bootlocale.py

Bill Eaton wpeaton4 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 04:56:47 BST 2015

Ok. I finally got it working!

Mostly I followed bootchk's advice for building everything statically:
https://plashless.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/using-pyqtdeploy0-5-on-linux-to-cross-compile-a-pyqt-app-for-android/

However, there were quite a few hiccups along the way. I had Android SDK
22 installed from ADT-Bundle. It seems Google has ditched the
Eclipse-based bundle in favor of their own Android Studio based on their
acquisition of IntelliJ. I ended up having to download the NDK again. I
deleted all of the files in /usr/lib/adt-bundle/ndk and replacing them
with the tarball. But the permissions were screwy, so ended up chmod -R
777 the whole NDK directory and chmod -R +x the relevant bin directories.

I used Python 3.4.0 and there was a problem with _posixsubprocess.c  So
I found the patch and overwrote it in my local source directory.
Regrettably, I cannot find the link for the c file now.

Statically building PyQt5 took a while. I ran into the same problems
bootchk did: many modules will fail on make. QWebsocket, QMultimedia*,
and many others failed. I kept editing the pyqt5-android.cfg file until
I got no more errors.

Systemwide Qt5 worked just fine for qmake during the static build
process. I have an update install of Qt5.5 using the Qt Maintenance Tool
gui program. All of my Qt files seem to be stored in /opt/Qt/

I'm so psyched to start doing some real programming!

Bill Eaton
Thousand Oaks