[PyQt] Building a GUI around, or embedding a visualization tool into a GUI?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Wed Sep 23 16:08:44 BST 2015

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 10:21:22 -0500, toks adebonojo wrote:

> I am working on a GUI to execute a trajectory optimization tool called OTIS
> (Optimal Trajectories by Implicit Simulation:
> http://otis.grc.nasa.gov/background.html) and want to pipe the output from
> this tool to an orbit visualization tool called CELESTIA (
> http://www.shatters.net/celestia/).
>
> I am working on the first part (running the GUI to execute the optimization
> tool), but I have little experience with visualization tools and OpenGL,
> and am not even sure whether I am going to be able to build this GUI
> around, or embed CELESTIA into it.

There should be ready made high level frameworks for visualizing 3D graphics
in Qt applications but it sounds like you want to embed Celestia in your
tool. An alternative might be to try and customize or extend Celestia to use
your tool as a plugin or extension, if the application supports that.

As an aside, you might also be interested in this framework, just to see how
it performs visualization of orbits, though I don't know how much it is
developed these days:

  http://orsa.sourceforge.net/

David