[PyQt] cursor icon not changing over QSplitter [Mac OSX]

Timothy W. Grove tim_grove at sil.org
Mon Sep 21 11:07:42 BST 2015

On 20/09/2015 10:21, Rembrand (daxLAB Limitted) wrote:
> If it was the GIL then your app would not respond at all if clicking
> on  or hovering  over a button for example.  I have not come across
> this issue and  have more or less the same setup (using VLC python
> bindings) with the difference I use Qt5.5 with python 2.7 on Mac OS
> Yoshmite.
*Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure exactly what problems the GIL could
cause, but I saw enough people complaining about changes from PyQt4 to
PyQt5 to think that it might be an issue. I've been able to "fix" some
of the issues I was seeing by altering the focus policy on the tree
widget used to trigger video playback.*

*However, why the cursor icon doesn't change when moved over a splitter
handle is a real mystery. It does change for another splitter in another
part of my program, but for the splitter which contains the video player
(whether based on VLC bindings or QMultimedia), it doesn't. Even if I
place the video player inside another widget before placing it into the
splitter I still see this problem. It appears to be a bug related to
accessing the winId() of the widget
[**https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-33479
<https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-33479>**] or the video playback
itself...