[PyQt] pyqtdeploy and sip errors...

John M. Hackett john.hackett at icon-is.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 11:46:35 GMT 2015

I am having problems with the final stages of building an application with pyqtdeploy: "make" fails with this error:

/usr/bin/ld cannot find -lsip
/usr/bin/ld cannot find -lintl

PyQt5.5 is installed on Ubuntu 14.04 and the application (Python2.7) is running correctly inside the IDE (Pycharm). Then using the instructions here - http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/pyqtdeploy/static_builds.html - I've build the static packages.

Concentrating on the sip problem I have setup SYSROOT and followed the instructions for building the static SIP (v4.17).
The output of "python2.7 configure.py ...." indicates that the module and headers will be copied to the SYSROOT directory:

The sip module will be installed in

/root/pyqtdeploy-dir/sysroot-linux/lib/python2.7/site-packages.

The sip module will be built as a static library.

The sip.h header file will be installed in

/root/pyqtdeploy-dir/sysroot-linux/include/python2.7.

but the output of the "make" command is using python3.4m and "make install" is copying the files to the python3 tree:

cp -f sip.so /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/sip.so

strip /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/sip.so

cp -f /root/Software/sip-4.17/siplib/sip.h /usr/include/python3.4m/sip.h

make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/Software/sip-4.17/siplib'

I've tried symlinking to these two files from the $SYSROOT locations indicated but still get the same cannot find.

Any help in figuring out what is happening and what I'd doing wrong would be much appreciated - I want this app to be cross compiled eventually onto mac, windows, ios and android. Hopefully once I can get it to build successfully on linux the rest will be straightforward! As a newbie to PyQt5 and pyqtdeploy this is a steep learning curve....

--
Regards,
John Hackett