[PyQt] independent child QMainWindow with pyqt5

Samuele Carcagno sam.carcagno at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:50:28 BST 2015

I have an application in which a parent QMainWindow creates a child
QMainWindow. In PyQt4 these two windows had independent icons in the
taskbar (at least on KDE and Windows), and could be minimized/maximized
independently. In PyQt5 the child window doesn't have an icon in the
taskbar and cannot be minimized/maximized (fully) independently from the
parent window. Is there a way to obtain the old behavior that was
present in PyQt4?

I have read about primary and secondary windows in Qt5 here:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/application-windows.html
but I've been unable to find a solution.

Thank you for your help.

Sam