[PyQt] problem with QScintilla and Eric 6

David Beck dbeck at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 5 02:37:07 GMT 2015

I’ve seen some discussions of this on-line, but none of the suggested solutions seem to work, so maybe somebody on the list can help.

I’m working on an iMac running System 10.11.1 and I’ve been updating my software from Qt 5.5/PyQt5.5. I’m currently trying to install Qt 5.5.1, QScintilla 2.9.1, sip-4.17, PyQt 5.5.1 (followed by installing the QScintlla Python bindings for PyQt5) and Eric 6.0.11. It all seemed to go well until I tried to install Eric, when I got the following error:

Checking dependencies
Python Version: 3.4.2
Found PyQt5
Sorry, please install QScintilla2 and
its PyQt5/PyQt4 wrapper.
Error: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/PyQt5/Qsci.so, 2): Library not loaded: libqscintilla2_qt5.12.dylib
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/PyQt5/Qsci.so
  Reason: image not found

I found a discussion on-line (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30730288/how-do-i-compile-qscintilla-and-eric6-on-linux) that suggested making changes to designer-Qt4Qt5/designer.pro, Qt4Qt5/features/qscintilla2.prf, and Qt4Qt5/qscintilla.pro, and an old message from this list (https://riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/eric/2007-August/000500.html) suggesting setting the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. I’ve tried both (though I may have been mistaken about where to set the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to) and neither seems to make a difference. The library that the error message claims not to be there is visible in the QScintilla/Qt4Qt5 directory, but no matter what I try I keep getting the same error message.

David