[PyQt] I seem to need help with some basic stuff.. =P

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Wed May 27 15:39:02 BST 2015

>  I  want to make the QTextEdit
> span the whole main window from left to right, and then below it I want
> another QTextEdit that also spans all the way horizontally but takes a lot
> less room (a fixed amount) vertically.

Either you need to stack the two edits vertically (another VBox) or you
could use a QSplitter if you want to give the user control over the
proportions.

I second the suggestion to work on your design in QDesigner. It is a much
quicker way to learn how the different widgets interact than a code'n'test
loop.  It is especially educational to review the fields of the inspector
for every widget. After sketching your UI in Designer you can convert it to
code using the pyuic5 utility. You can review the code it generates and use
it, or then write your own.