[PyQt] Fwd: Problems installing eric 6 in Kubuntu (Qt5.4 and PyQt5.4 from distro)

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57 at ubuntu.com
Sun May 3 19:18:29 BST 2015

Hi Phil,

On Sun, 03 May 2015 17:01:15 +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
> With a new 15.04 install I did...
>
> sudo apt-get install python3-pyqt5.qsci
> python3 -c "import PyQt5.Qsci"
>
> ...and got the same result. Must be a packaging bug.

I can confirm that after rebuilding QScintilla the problem is fixed.

However, I have a question about sip4 ABI stability.

In Ubuntu, the current version of QScintilla was built against sip
4.16.4 and PyQt 5.3.2.

There has been no sip API version bump between 4.16.4 and the current
version (4.16.7), so we expected that the new version will have
backward binary compatibility. Was it not the case?

If it was the case, does this mean that we (Debian/Ubuntu) should
rebuild all reverse dependencies with *each* sip release (not only
the major ones)? Or maybe you can mention it somewhere when the binary
compatibility is lost?

For the reference, the crash was happening because of failed
"sipTypeIsEnum(currentType)" assert in sipEnumType_alloc() function
when constructing the type for QsciAbstractAPIs class, where
currentType.td_flags == 280 and 280 & 0x7 == 0 (and not 3 as that
macro expects).

--
Dmitry Shachnev