[PyQt] QtWebEngineWidgets crasher

Baz Walter bazwal at ftml.net
Fri Mar 20 03:00:39 GMT 2015

On 20/03/15 01:51, Kovid Goyal wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 04:55:50PM +0000, Baz Walter wrote:
>> The description of the problem in your linked thread closely matches my own
>> situation. I ported a working, reliable PyQt4 application to PyQt5 without
>> any difficulties. It was only when I tried switching from QWebKit to
>> QWebEngine that the issue showed up. It took me quite a while to realize
>> that it was *only* the QWebEngine import that made the difference.
>
> Since I can produce it with just QMainWindow I doubt it has anything
> to do with WebEngine. It is likely that importing it simply changes the
> order of object cleanup during interpreter shutdown, which triggers the
> crash.

You misunderstood me - importing the QtWebEngineWidgets module is the
only thing that makes a difference in *my* application (and the test
case I posted), not in general. And I think it's already clear to
everyone that the order of object deletion on exit is the proximal cause
of the problem. It seems the only real issue here is how to go about
debugging the underlying problem. Until now, I hadn't realized quite how
difficult that was going to be.

--
Regards
Baz Walter