[PyQt] My license mess

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Mon Jun 22 09:21:26 BST 2015

On 22/06/2015 7:48 am, Jorge Tornero - Listas wrote:
> Good morning:
>
> I've developed some custom widgets under PyQt4 which I've uploaded to a
> github repo. Following the example found in QtQuarterly number 26, at
> https://doc.qt.io/archives/qq/qq26-pyqtdesigner.html, I've created also
> plugins for having those widgets available in Qt Designer. For such a
> task and its deployement, I've modified the setup included in the code,
> as well as followed the code for plugin production.
>
> I'm concerned about license issues and, because I'm sort of newcomer,
> I'm wondering if I've made things right. I am pretty sure GPL license
> could be
> applied to my work, but I don't really know which formalities should I
> adapt in my files (I mean file headers mentioning license). I'm sure
> about the files I've created from scratch (say the class implementation
> for the widgets) but I'm not so sure regarding to the files I've
> derived
> from the files provided in the sample code (say setup script and
> plugin files, which have been modified for my needs).
>
> So I would like to ask you for some kind of review of that files or
> just
> a some directions about how to proceed with that. The github repository
> is allocated at
>
> https://github.com/jtornero/jtCustomQtWidgets
>
> And the "problematic" files are setup.py and the contents of folder
> /python
>
> Any other directions would be appreciated as well

My personal opinion (I am not a lawyer) is that you can use whatever
license you want so long as it is compatible with the other bits of
software you are using. The files you mention are implementations of
boilerplate code and you can't really write them any other way - they
are almost like configuration files.