[PyQt] Why does SIP's configure.py default install sip.h into /usr/include ?

Russell Warren russ at perspexis.com
Mon Feb 9 17:16:59 GMT 2015

I'm building sip4.16.5 inside a virtualenv and sip defaults to installing
sip.h to /usr/include/python2.7/.

I know I can override the `sip.h` installation location with `--incdir`,
but why is the default to go way out to /usr/include?  Is there some
advantage to stuffing it out there?

When in a virtualenv I generally try to avoid elevating privileges high
enough to do that.  Most packages I see tend to leave header files
somewhere (randomly) under their `site-packages` dir.

Full default build log attempt captured here:
https://bpaste.net/raw/da0bbff6fa20

Thanks,
Russ