[PyQt] Plans for PyQt with respect to Qt 5.6

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57 at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 19 16:49:22 GMT 2015

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 01:11:09AM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
> The "official" position is that PyQt supports the Qt releases, nothing more,
> nothing less.
>
> However, if it easy to reference an external copy of QtWebKit (via new flags
> to configure.py) then I'm happy to accept patches that implement that support.
> Such patches will not be tested (except to make sure they don't break regular
> builds).

According to Qt developer Thiago Macieira there will be official QtWebKit 5.6
tarballs available [1]:

| Actually, QtWebKit is guaranteed to work for at least a couple more versions.
| We’ve just revisited the decision and will release a version 5.6 of it that
| does compile.
|
| But it will not be included in the main binaries. You’ll need to build from
| sources.

In Debian we will use those tarballs, so nothing will change for us.

There should also be no patches needed for PyQt to support it, as there will
be no packaging changes between QtWebKit 5.5 and QtWebKit 5.6 (except for
availability in binary installers).

[1]: http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/12/18/qt-5-6-beta-released/#comment-1196968

--
Dmitry Shachnev