[PyQt] PySide 2

Marcus Ottosson konstruktion at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 15:08:01 BST 2015

Thanks for sharing, Florian.

@Phil, what are your thoughts on this? Will it have any effect on the
growth and development of PyQt? From a 10.000 feet view, you alone could
potentially squash this effort in a matter of weeks by widening the license
scheme and potentially gain 100% market share, and possibly gain added
traction via open source contributions from the very same volunteers
currently rounding up for PySide.

Came across this interesting read recently, about the direction in which
software is heading how it can be difficult to "compete with free", which
made me think of this situation.

- http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920033325.do

PyQt is a great product of great quality. I personally wouldn't want to see
this responsibility fall into the hands of Autodesk.

On 5 August 2015 at 08:36, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:

> * Marcus Ottosson <konstruktion at gmail.com> [2015-08-05 09:22:32 +0200]:
> > PySide is apparently getting support for Qt 5 with funding from Autodesk.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > What's the PyQt community's take on this?
>
> I'm eager to try it out for my project[1] once it's in an usable state
> - and once it has some widespread adoption in distros I'll probably
> officially support it.
>
> From what I've seen with PySide/PyQt4, it should be relatively easy to
> write a compatibility shim to make it work with both (provided there
> are enough tests, which is a thing I'm working on).
>
> Florian
>
> [1] http://www.qutebrowser.org/
>
> --
> http://www.the-compiler.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)